Monday 23 April 2012

Hello!



Hi! I'm Hazel and a friend of Janet (see the previous post) and I'm delighted to welcome you to the new blog for the Yorkshire Modern Quilt Guild! As Janet mentioned we met on a City and Guilds course which encouraged us to try 'art quilting' and it didn't really suit us although we did want to try something different to the very traditional techniques we were also taught. 

Janet and I both teach patchwork and quilting in our own area of Yorkshire - Janet around Barnsley in South Yorkshire and me around Wetherby on the boundary of West and North Yorkshire. The quilt above is one I made as a sample for a beginner class. The wonderful thing about patchwork and quilting is that there is always something new to learn and last year Janet introduce me to Liberated Piecing techniques. Here's a small example of what I produced then:

This was made with 'crumbs' - leftover scraps! It was a small piece so I made it into something functional:


A little zippy bag just the right size for a small sewing kit.

What am I up to now? Well today I've just taken delivery of this new book:
My first reaction is WOW!!! I'll be back in a few days to tell you more about it. In the meantime, if you live in Yorkshire, why not join this group by clicking on the link on the right. We'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment